August to do list, Here are the top ten things to keep your garden fresh from late summer to fall.
1. Harvest ripe vegetables daily.
2. Start seeds for cole crops indoors, cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower.
3. Plant leafy greens, lettuce and spinach.
4. Harvest herbs for drying.
5. Keep garden tidy, remove any rotted fruit and dead foliage from plants and surrounding area. This will help keep soil borne fungus, diseases and pests in check.
6. Continue to water newly planted trees and shrubs.
7. Deadhead perennials, annuals. Remove spent annuals that have gone to seed.
8. Continue to deadhead and fertilize container gardens and hanging baskets.
9. Stop fertilizing roses to avoid winter frost on new growth.
10.Start saving seeds from heirloom annuals and vegetables.