Before the spring season officially arrives get started in the garden with these projects:
1. Start seeds for cool season crops. Now is the perfect time to plant seeds for lettuces, cabbage, broccoli and early fruiting tomatoes. You can even start planting flowering verbena, stock and pansies. Be sure to check the seed packets to check germination times.
2. Start fertilizing houseplants. Schedule weekly fertilizing for your houseplants. Use an all purpose 20-20-20 formula. Remember to mist leaves 2-3x per week. And rotate 1/4 turn.
3. Prune fruit trees and spray with horticultural oil.
4. Sharpen tools and take inventory of your tool shed.
5. Cut branches to force flowering indoors. Branches like magnolia, forsythia, and quince are great to force flowering so you can enjoy a taste of spring.
6. Force bulbs to flower indoors. Tulips and daffodils will bloom in mid March if planted now. Crocus and grape hyacinths will bloom in early March.